[Dailydrool] Morse's aquatic mishap

Rebecca Louise Stanton pummorse at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 04:57:27 PST 2014

​Yesterday it was a beautifully bright and sunny but freezing day, and
Morse and I had a stroll around our neighbours' garden - it is huge and
bordered by a small brook that runs into the river about half a mile away.
They allow us to wander round as long as we pick up :)   Halfway round
Morse decided to have a drink.  I was just a bit further up and called to
persuade him to move further up the river where it was shallow, but before
I could stop him he decided to plop straight in.  The water was evidently
deeper than he realised as I noticed straightaway a startled and somewhat
panicked look to his face (and on top of that the water was obviously
perishing).  However, I could see that more than that he was getting into
difficulty, and I so I plopped straight in too, as you do.  I immediately
realised the problem in that the bottom of the river seemed to move
whenever I attempted to tread; it was just slushy mud that sucked you down
and there was no stability whatsoever.  No wonder he was struggling, as the
water was up to my thighs.  I pushed him up on the bank and he was
delighted to be out; it seemed to give him a new lease of life as he tore
off happily, unchivalrous to the extreme (which I have noted before on
previous rescue occasions!) as I laboured to get out myself.  I had to see
the funny side though once we were out and safe; we were both covered in
sludgy mud and frozen and I emptied bootfuls of water out, but he was happy
as Larry and within seconds woofing and digging mud - nothing like a polar
dip to get you moving!   Boots are still drying out.  Sigh.

Water-logged drool to all in need.

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB