[Dailydrool] What I just learned about allergies

Sabrina brii at sprynet.com
Fri Feb 7 15:55:54 PST 2014

We just adopted Gumbo, a 5 year old boy, from Basset Hound Rescue of
So. Calif. When he was surrendered by his owner, he was suffering
from allergies, chewing his foot until bloody. The rescue vet told me
that here in Southern California, only about 20% of allergies are
food allergies, most often grain and sometimes chicken. Currently,
Gumbo is on antibiotics, steroids and a grain-free restricted diet.
The vet said that when he has finished with his medications and if
he's not chewing, we can try adding things to his diet slowly, one at
a time, to check for sensitivity. But in our warm climate, 80% of
allergies are environmental, allergies to pollens, grasses, airborne
particles, etc. Allergy shots work about 60% of the time, and it
takes up to a year to know whether they're working. Human allergy
drugs like Claratin, Zyrtec, Benedryl work for some dogs. If the diet
doesn't keep his allergies under control, we may need to keep Gumbo
on prescription Atopica. I've had Bassets for over 30 years and
didn't realize that such a small percentage of allergies were to
food, at least here in our warm climate.

Sabrina, Ellie, and Gumbo