[Dailydrool] Rupert incident and Layla

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Fri Feb 14 19:54:00 PST 2014

Regarding the "incident" where Rupert fell over for no apparent
reason... My 8-year-old terrier did that a few months ago. I let him in
the house and he came in OK and then staggered a couple of steps and
fell over on left side. Got up, staggered a few more feet and fell over
again, same side. (I immediately thought, OMG he's been poisoned! Or
stung, or snake-bitten, even tho not season for either.) But he got up
and suddenly was fine. Had him checked, but had nothing to tell the vet
except the above -- appetite fine, everything one could think of was
fine and he did not do it again and still hasn't. The vet was just as
mystified. Except for an occasional need for anal gland expressing, this
dog has never had a sick day in his life. He has no "back issues" and no
arthritis. It's a mystery. However, if Rupert repeats this (or my
terrier does) it would mean a trip to vet for more in-depth study.

Layla certainly sounds as if dementia is proceeding. Naturally, should
be checked for other possibilities, but there are meds to ease the
dementia, though nothing I know of to stop its progress. Our oldest is
entering that phase and it's sad to see (doesn't help any that she's
pretty deaf, except for hearing the cookie jar lid being opened). Mostly
all you can do is be alert and help them get re-oriented when they get
"lost" or confused.

Riche (who can't read the calendar, either)