[Dailydrool] Bloat

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 16 06:10:36 PST 2014

Hi all,

Healing drool going out to all who are in need, and heeling drool going out
to all in training!

Hank, of the Bounders has been going through some after dinner bloating,(Odd
also, as we have never seen it in the morning).  No torsion, but he starts
out by licking/smacking his lips a lot, then licking the floor, beds,
whatever.  Then his belly is expanded, although not as tight as a drum as I
have seen before in others Bassets that did full bloats.

So,  I run for the liquid simithicone, and get some in him and it goes down
after a little bit.  Of course, I am on standby till it does, and having
been through 5-6 other hounds who have torsion bloated, I feel pretty aware
of when to haul ass to the ER (only 10 min away).

Anyhow, after a couple times of this, I called the vet and took Hank in.  My
intention was to opt for elective surgery to tack his stomach.  Dr. Manley,
being more calm than me, suggested we try to find out what was causing it,
I was good with that.  We have not found out why, but modified feeding time.
So, what I have done for Hank is to give him a Pepcid(famotidine is the
generic) 30 minutes before he eats.  I set a timer so he waits the exact
time before he gets his bowl.  Also started him on Prozyme, a digestive
enzyme recommended to me by a very smart drooler.  I actually am giving it
to everyone now, with each meal.  And, for Hank, I wet his food and let it
sit and expand,  he is getting Royal Canin Gastro food.        The results
is, he has not shown any signs of bloating since I started doing these
simple changes.

Now, that might not be an answer for every hound,  just wanted to share what
we have done here.  And if a hound was bloating worse than he was here and
depending upon the behavior, panting (he was not), pacing (he was not)  they
would be at the vet in no time.    Bloat is not anything to wait and see if
it will go away.  I am not an expert on it, but have had my share of
experience with it.  I have a healthy respect and fear of it.

I am not a vet, just sharing my experience with Hank.

Have a great Sunday.

Wen and the Bounders

February Frenzy is going on now!

www.bounderblvd.org  to enter and possibly win over $500 in gift cards in