[Dailydrool] Singing to hounds

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 19:44:45 PST 2014

We always sing to our hounds. In fact, I sing to all our critters -- each
cat has her own particular song that I sing outside the back door when I'm
calling them in for the night. (Sometimes loudly, depending on the weather,
and the cat -- Clio falls asleep outside regularly so considerable volume
is required, and if it's cold I sing louder since I don't want to stand
outside the back door for too long!) Our dear old boy cat Opus has gone to
the bridge now, but his song was to the tune of the William Tell Overture.
(He was a particularly cultured cat.)

We started singing to Paddi B when she was a puppy. "You ain't nothing but
a hound dog... wagging all the time" was my specialty, while my partner
Robbie favoured "Mockingbird." ("Hush little Paddi, don't say a word...
etc.) The late lamented Billy Basset had his own song too -- I think it was
originally an old (early 70s?) pop song called something like "Marianne" or
"Carianne" or something - - the chorus being the name repeated, and the
number of syllables being the same as in "Billy B." In fact, I think that
might be where the middle initials originated.

For some reason Vernon Q Basset usually gets an original song --- well, the
words are original, but in thinking about it just now I think the tune is
Chopsticks -- anybody who played the piano as a kid likely remembers it!
The opening words are, of course, "Vernon Q... a lovely basset hound..."
and then there are many variations.

Glad I'm not the only houndsinger!

Mary
& Vernon Q Basset,