[Dailydrool] New Kids on the Block!

Marilyn Burns mj_burns at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 24 12:08:34 PST 2014

Sorry to take so long to announce this - but I wanted to firm up their names
before we "went to press"...

On Saturday afternoon, Fred and I adopted 2 little basset girls from Basset
Hound Rescue of Georgia.  We've named them Thelma Lou and Peggy Sue.

I actually believe there might have been a bit more "divine intervention"
with these acquisitions - as was the case with Amanda Lynn.  Saturday was a
regularly-scheduled adoption event for the rescue at a Petco in the area -
but several "hic-cups" resulted in only TWO bassets in attendance.  Even
though the girls were fostered in different homes - it worked out perfectly
for us!  They were able to interact with each other - other dogs - and us
with very little distraction.  We weren't expecting to adopt two - but they
were such a sweet pair - we decided to take them both!

Thelma Lou is a senior - they say around 7 - it's probably more like 8 or
9...  She is quite frisky for her age and VERY sweet!  The poor baby doesn't
have any front teeth.  Both top and bottoms are gone - yet she has her
canines and molars...  <I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!>  Fred calls her his "hockey
puppy"!  Supposedly she was dumped at a kill shelter by her owners because
she got too old!!!  Fortunately, the shelter called the basset rescue - and
she's been fostered since August.

Peggy Sue was a stray.  It's hard to tell how old she is -- my guess is
somewhere between 4 and 5.  She was adopted - but returned to the rescue a
month or so ago because she was supposedly too active and her new owners
couldn't figure out why she couldn't be trained to stay in an un-fenced
backyard!!!  DUH!!!!  <I sure hope they're blacklisted for future
adoptions!>

Both of these kids are pretty thin -- yet Peggy Sue is a food-a-holic!
That is a bit of a concern but we have an appointment scheduled with our vet
for March 4th.  I'll have a better idea of things after he checks them both
out.

So far - the only time there has been any kind of a snit between them has
been when they get into each other's space when eating or treating...  With
Thelma Lou's front toofie problem - she eats quite a bit slower than Peggy
Sue.  So we'll have to keep an eye on them and keep "Ms. Pacman" away from
Thelma Lou until she's done!  Other than that -- they're great so far!

They are a couple of "Love Sponges".  They'd like nothing more than
bellyrubs and hugs 24/7 -- and - of course - we're more than happy to
oblige...

It's going to take several weeks until everybody settles in - and Fred and I
get trained properly -- but so far so good!

Marilyn - proud new Mommy of Thelma Lou and Peggy Sue and Bridgemates Amanda
Lynn, Samantha Sue, and Bob Burns

---