[Dailydrool] Royal Canin & HoundFood in General (my 2c worth)

lea pierce leapierce at leapierce.com
Thu Feb 27 12:00:53 PST 2014

The other day, in a long conversation with Dawn, director of Daphneyland
(the big Basset ranch in Southern California), she told me that the only
decent, healthy for-sale hound food in the US was/is Honest Kitchen (HQ'd
in San Diego).

I am sure that tons of people know Dawn and her 30+ years in dog rescue.
She is incredibly knowledgable about nutritional needs for dogs and keeps
up to date on what's available to feed our hounds (for those of us who do
not home cook for them).

I agree with Dawn about Honest Kitchen.

My foster hound, Lady Foxy, came to me with terrible, terrible
allergies--mainly food. I put her on Honest Kitchen and she cleared right
up. She has an absolute allergy to all grains.

Thinking that I needed to switch her on and off different foods to avoid
her redeveloping an allergic reaction, I put her on Blue Buffalo for a
couple of weeks--bad idea (btw, Dawn said Blue Buffalo has known
carcinogens).

Foxy will always have allergy problems, and not all related to food, but
Honest Kitchen worked wonders. She may need to go on one of the
anti-allergy meds, but switching her to Honest Kitchen cleared up 90% of
her problems. She flares up occassionally... I monitor... and worry. I know
many on this list have endured the terrible spector of a beloved hound
digging herself bloody raw from itching. It is horrible.

For reasons not worth detailing (oh, ok, I had to go out of town for 4 days
and kennel the hounds), Foxy has been eating through a small bag of Royal
Canin hypoallergenic. She seems to be ok, but I'm switching her back to
Honest Kitchen today.

Honest Kitchen ends up not being much more expensive than Blue Buffalo. It
is freeze dried, add water and let it sit for 5 minutes. It ends up making
about the same volume as dried kibble.

The hounds LOVE IT. It smells good (I've never met a kibble that smelled
good). It's all USA, nothing from China, no grains, etc., etc.

If anyone is interested in trying it, www.honestkitchen.com--for coupons
and also to locate a near-by retailer. Or order direct from the company.

Ok, my 2c worth ended up being a couple of bucks...

LEA
Houndservant to the bridge crew
Adm. JED
Lady Foxy