[Dailydrool] New Basset Kids - Update

Marilyn Burns mj_burns at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 28 06:29:47 PST 2014

Unfortunately - since Sunday - the situation between Thelma Lou and Peggy
Sue has been deteriorating rapidly from the food issues to a total "Don't
Come Near Me!"

On Sunday - as their first morning evolved - it appeared that everytime
Peggy Sue gots near Thelma Lou - or vice versa - there was a growl or two
and barking back and forth.  There have been a couple of slight lip curls
for effect - but nothing more aggressive.   We had been intervening each
time to calm them down.

With this not being our "first rodeo" - Fred and I concluded that the issues
were a simple case of positioning for the Alpha-role in the household -
which is something that THEY had to work out between themselves.

I had lengthy conversations with both of the previous foster parents on
Tuesday afternoon to see if there was anything they could share regarding
their individual past behavior.   These two were NOT fostered together.
Both assured me that there were only very minor issues in their past with
other dogs in their individual foster environments - but never anything
other than a bit of barking and a growl or two!

But late afternoon Tuesday - after a great walk with Fred - in which they
both met and got along famously with several neighborhood dogs and people -
they came back home and were outside with us in the backyard.  They were
engaging in a laughable chase with the two of them running up and down the
deck.

Without any warning - it deteriorated into a lip-curled - teeth baring -
full-blown rumble with both of them looking and acting like they were trying
to kill one another!!!!  Seriously - it was frightening!!  We separated
them - and they seem to calm down.  But a few minutes later - it happened
again!  Thelma Lou ended up with a tiny - and I mean TINY - skin break on
her nose below her left eye.

Needless to say - I've been a wreck since then!  Although the growling and
barking has continued - fortunately, no other actual fights ensued -
probably due to Fred and I concentrating on keeping them apart.  We could
care less which one is the Alpha-dog and we still believe that they need
time to resolve these issues on their own.  But I have to tell you - it felt
like we are sitting on a powder keg!  But the actual dog fights are
downright scary and something we've never dealt with before.  Thankfully we
did not have World War III again - but it got close a couple of times...

Peggy Sue is lovable and sweet as the day is long.  But she is also a
hyper-active - over-the-top - "noodge" - that knows no boundaries!   At the
present time - she retains no discipline and has no manners - which we will
try to focus on.  She certainly doesn't appear to understand that all Thelma
Lou wants is a little respect and space...

Peggy Sue's Foster Dad shared that she calmed down quite a bit after a
couple of weeks and wasn't nearly as hyper as she was when she first arrived
into his foster care.   He shared with me that Peggy Sue was not the Alpha
in his household!

Individually - these babies are the sweetest gurlz I have ever known!!!
Also, they show absolutely no aggression towards us - whether in a fight or
not.  So far, they get along beautifully with other dogs and people that
they are meeting on their walks - and strangely enough - seem to get along
together in every other environment - BUT the day-to-day living!

BUT my heart is racing and I'm holding my breath whenever they get anywhere
close to each other!  I'm scared to death to leave the alone  - for fear
I'll come home to a "blood bath"!  Although we've had bassets for over 20
years - with a pair for about 7 of those years - we've never had to deal
with this sort of thing...

If any of you have any suggestions - PLEASE take a moment to share them with
me privately.

Thanks,

Marilyn - loving Mom of Thelma Lou and Peggy Sue (aka Muhhamed Ali and
George Frasier)

---