[Dailydrool] doggie dementia

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 18:27:05 PST 2014

One of ours, Bo, commander of the Pacific Basset feet, has doggie dementia. some of the first symptoms we noticed were his getting lost in the yard (totally fenced) and bellowing for directions. and standing facing walls and closets, uncertain how to proceed. His eyesight has also been failing and we figured this might be the explanation. but other symptoms kept cropping up. He became inconsistent about house training-- half the time going out, half the time peeing or pooping wherever he stood. (he now wears jumpsuits with diapers in them in the house). and then his days and nights reversed themselves--he'd sleep all day and pace tHe house at night baying at nothing in particular. Bo still loves mealtimes and recognizes my husband, our other hounds, and us by sound, smell, and touch. He is still a total sweetheart. but he abhors new places and will only walk a set route. He is greatly reassured by routine. when we walk the others, Bo does not mind being wheeled along in a carriage so long as we talk to him the whole way.
  Bo now takes Prozac (30 mg.), Valium 5 mg., and melatonin 2mg at bedtime and we leave a light on in the livingroom all night for him. This has worked miraculously. he sleeps through the night again and has regular day times. If we should run a day short on his meds., he becomes agitated and paces though.
  Bo has always been a high maintenance hound, but living with him is still a joy? the meds. And physical accommodations help a LOT. good luck, Val, Bo, Harley, and Mila