[Dailydrool] Lady Bassets

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 06:18:07 PST 2014

I always thought "lady" bassets were sweet especially the older ones.  In
fact I own a basset named Lady who is the most submissive dog that I've
ever owned.  Our first basset wasn't an alpha - Tia just charmed us.  Grace
atb was a sweet older soul that I will always cherish in my heart.

Funny this subject should come up now.  Two years ago, I heard about a
sweet 8 year old basset rescued from a breeder.  The poor thing had one
litter after another.  She was kept outside most of her life.  I saw a
picture of Dixie and my heart just melted.  Of course we'll "foster" her.
 Okay we had plans to adopt her from the moment we heard her story.  We
lost Tia just a month before.

I thought Dixie would be a sweet little old lady basset like Tia and Grace.
 Instead Dixie was a tough old board. She waddled into our house and
assumed the top dog role.  That didn't sit well with Boomer (a two year old
male basset).  After two weeks of loud and sometimes physical
disagreements, Boomer resigned to being second in command.  Dixie always
had a spring in her step each and every morning.  There was peace in the
kingdom as long as the dogs remembered she was in charge.

If any dog dared tried to boss her around, she would put them in their
place.  One day we were attending a basset get together at someone's house.
 Their male basset growled and charged Dixie while she was drinking water.
 The old girl turned and charged him back.  The other basset was younger
and outweighed her by at least 15 lbs.  A friend pulled Dixie into a nearby
bathroom so things could settle down.  As soon as the door shut, Dixie
showered my friend with kisses like any sweet little old lady basset.  When
things settled down, I opened the door.  Dixie charged out of that bathroom
past me looking for that other dog.  I guess she wasn't finished teaching
that youngster to respect their elders.  Needless to say, I took Dixie
home. I got to admit I loved how Dixie wouldn't take crap from any dog.

Don't think Dixie lacked a motherly side.  When we fostered a young puppy,
Dixie acted like a sweet grandmother.  The puppy could do no wrong with
Dixie.  Dixie played with her, thought her about housetraining, and slept
along aside her.  When the young puppy came down with parvo, Dixie wouldn't
leave her side. As I hear about Fairy Princess Browyn's adventures, I know
Dixie most have passed down her wisdom to that girl.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss that old girl.

Jan
Lady, Dexter & Matilda