[Dailydrool] bak trubbles

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 09:54:08 PDT 2014

Nigel has back troubles. He has no movement in his back legs and is
incontinent mostly. I say "mostly" because often he gives us clear
indications that he needs to go but he cannot control when.

Anyway he went down 2 yrs ago and we tried Pred and other meds as well as
confinement, then missed the surgical "window" and the U of Wisconsin said
he had a 2% POSSIBILITY of improvement through surgery so we ​elected to
just bring him home and decide.

Most people, you should know, or many, put the dog down and here is why:

I get up in the morning and start dog laundry. I may do 4 loads of towels a
day. Or not. We built a pen for him rather than a crate because he cannot
get over the lip of a crate and he cannot turn around. It is about 4x4 and
takes up a corner of my room. We buy tarps to protect the floor and then
ontop of that we put blankets and padding. Those big double sided fleece
pads are great.

No diaper including the Val Brewer Custom Made Magic Ones have worked. He
has a wheelchair. It cost $600 and he cannot use it in the house unless we
remove all the furniture. He will NOT use it in the back but loves to take
walkies in it.

He gets bladder infections, probably has one as we speak. Getting a 75
pound, paralyzed dog to the Vet is not simple.

I use a urinary catheter to drain his bladder two or three times a day. For
that we must buy catheters, syringes, a couple of needles, a bag of flush.
Our Vet bill is stable at around $1000 and we pay every month.

(If you want, go to part 2)