[Dailydrool] Synthia

CANDY DUSEK lovebassets at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 12 08:14:48 PDT 2014

I will always remember Synthia with fondness.  She was in Bismarck, North Dakota, in 2011 for some work she was doing in the medical field.  She wanted a basset fix and wondered if any droolers were near.  I wrote to tell her I lived two hours away in Minot.  I was thrilled when she decided to come visit me!  I rarely meet another drooler!  We were having very inclement weather and had to postpone our visit by a day, but she bravely fought the elements to come.  In fact, the way she explained things, I believe she went around a storm gate!!  The bottom portion of her car was covered in snow/ice when she arrived!

We spent the first twenty minutes of getting to know each other on the floor of my kitchen with my two bassets (my mother would be appalled).  She brought treats for the hounds, and she allowed Higgins' drool-covered mouth all over her!  And she also loved on my Maggie as if she were her own.  We learned we were born the same month and year.  She told me she never met a drooler she didn't like.  We went out to lunch and watched a movie at my house, and we were as comfortable as if we had known each other for years.

I was so saddened and shocked to hear the news that she was gone.  I'm also upset to hear that she  struggled with depression.  I was in awe of her as she took in one ill pooch after another.  How hard it must have been on her when each one passed.  It was an honor to know her.

Candy Dusek