[Dailydrool] Heart Dog

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at optimum.net
Fri Jun 13 06:59:35 PDT 2014

My heart dog also brought us into rescue. Belvedere came to us as a
foster, after Tri-State put a request for foster homes on the Drool. I
talked Drew into doing it, telling him I had no mind to adopt. I meant
it, really I did.

But Belvedere came into our home and fit just like a puzzle piece
snapping into place. Our first hound, Jane, adored him--she liked having
someone to boss around (other than me)--they were joined at the hip the
rest of their lives. But Bel also fell deeply in love with me. Whenever
I left the house he'd wait for me in the front hall and do other
separation-anxiety things. You see, he'd been in at least three homes
before he came here. I was the one who decided this sweetest of boys
would end his days here, despite his less-than-pleasant pottying habits.

It took me a while to figure it out, but Bel knew the love right away.
Dogs always recognize me as a soft touch, but this one wanted to stay.
All it's taken to get a place in our pack is to ask for one--a tradition
Bel started.

Bel loved me just for being me, how could I resist? He came to us at
five years old, suffering from separation anxiety and serious arthritis.
The arthritis pain would take him from us, just short of his fifteenth
birthday.

I wish he could have stayed forever. I know he's forever in my heart.

The hounds who live here now all came after Bel. I love them dearly, but
this first foster dog has a special place in my heart. You see, he
started it all. Without Bel, there would be no Dashing Basset pack, no
rescue fun, nothing. How can I ever thank my Belvedere enough?

Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets
Lady Jane (ATB), Belvedere (ATB), Alexis (ATB), Abner (ATB)

Holly, Dexter, and Horton