[Dailydrool] Oh, Pierre - antics tonight to top off a "day" - long

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 19:14:38 PDT 2014

Started the day at 5 am as usual.  Hounds out, their meds, clean and refill food and water bowls, gather the newspaper, this and that, then on to Mom care.  I won't embarrass her with the details of her needs this am, but I was faced with unexpected challenges, mainly hygiene related, but I plowed through it, of course, as needed.  Finished with Mom's meds and feeding, jumped on the tread mill for 20 minutes (wanted the full 30, but just not possible), took the hounds out for the second time already (7:30), made coffee, glanced at the paper, ate 1/2 of a dry toasted bagel, and prepared for Mom's aide to arrive.
At 9 am, I gave Mom's aide the morning report, did hound outs again, dialogued with Pierre's vet about his condition (stable, but on watch and will report again on Monday), spoke with some others from Hospice, took all six hounds out again, and this time there was something noteworthy.  A sparrow was in a freeze position on the patio.
I have to leash walk the hounds from the back door to the gated fenced area, and of course all six noticed the bird, but not knowing its condition, I didn't want any of them going too close.  When I got them in the enclosed area, I saw the bird blink, so I knew it was alive.  I kept a steady watch on the hounds and the bird, cleaned up, left the enclosure to dump the scooper, walked past the bird again, and it didn't flinch, still.  From a close, but not intrusive distance, I waved a finger past its eye, and it blinked again.
I brought the hounds in in pairs so I could control them better, got everyone safely inside, found the number for the local nature rescue group, and before I dialed in, I checked out the window, and the bird was gone.  I had no clue that birds play "possum."
Speaking of birds, some local mocking birds have built a nest in my lilac bush, and I am getting to know them.  At first I was worried, but having done research, a human can make a connection to them, and I am working on this.  Too bad I can't whistle very well, and they don't worry about me so much anymore, because I am inviting to them, and I am not a threat, nor are the hounds.
Day goes by, Mom stuff, hound stuff, etc., etc., and I am getting ready for last outs, and the sky opens, thunder and lightning.  Jelly and Nigel are border line freaked out, not as bad as usual, and the only one who demands to go out is Pierre.  He is a swimmer and wet weather doesn't bother him.  Done, we both get soaked, and a little later, there is a break, and I get everyone except Nikki out, but there is a room with newspaper and a room with wee wee pads, and after lights out, Nikki chose the wee wee pad room.  Jr. smells her no. 2 and jumps out of bed to eat it, and because he is on a limited diet, I have to jump out of bed to prevent it.  I grab a leash and a slice of cheese, and clean up was a success.
Then, Pumpkin decides to go to the same room to do a no. 2, 15 minutes later.  Again, jump out of bed, grab a leash and a slice of cheese, clean up, and try to go back to bed once again.
Nikki and Jelly in my bed, but where is Jr.?  I can't not know where he is or what he may be eating, so up again, and he is downstairs, no snacks for him to cause him trouble, but since I am down there, I say good night to Mom again, who is awake, probably because of the storm.
I wasn't even going to write this, but since Jr. has decided to have a bark, howl fest, and I won't be able to sleep anyway…
Full moon, Friday the 13th, thunder and lightning storms and solar flares
All in all, it could have been much worse.
Healing drool to all in need,
Jackie about to try sleep once more