[Dailydrool] New Drooler!

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 19:59:44 PDT 2014

I'd like everyone to say hello and welcome to a new drooler!

Last week when I lost Leia Round so unexpectedly, Dexter almost immediately
became despondent. I know what that's like, both in me and in previous
hounds when pack members are all suddenly gone. So I went to the rescues.
Normally I'd stay in the basset groups, but one of the men at work came
across a hound at an all-breed rescue organization in California that was
just about at the maximum range I'd be able to go travel to. And the photos
were simply adorable. The name, not so much: "Red". Sorry folks, that
didn't' work for me, so it's in the process of being changed. The background
of the name appears to be thus: Red was one of a breeding pair, Red and
Blue. I think the lousy jerk breeders didn't name the dogs, they just
identified them by the color of their collar!

This is a very good looking gentleman. He's a typical tri-color, with a rich
brown base (unlike my previous girl Maggie d'Earest, who had darker brown in
her coat), black blanket, white undersides, with a LOT of freckles. The big
surprise is the golden eyes - unbelievable. A rich looking dog needs a rich
name, right? I'm fairly well sold on Reginald. That sounded pretty rich to
me! He's learning it fast for a dog that's only been here for less than a
day. The rescue was thinking Tank or Dozer, because on a leash he pulls like
a monster truck. But I think Reggie or Reginald would be more fun.

So now the bad news. Backyard breeders. Ought to stick them in their own dog
cages for a couple years and see how they like it. This lovely guy has
issues, but fortunately not serious ones: Basically, it's like he's had NO
training whatsoever. According to the rescue, he lived his life in the
crate, only getting out briefly for doing his business. So getting let
loose, he goes nuts. He's getting on the furniture. Not just the chair and
couch, but the tables. Plus he's a convicted counter cruiser. He is maybe
two years old (probably less - there's a lot of puppy still in him),
stubborn, willful, and doesn't know sit, stay, down, etc., and in fact I'm
not even sure he knows his OLD name, much less the new one. He pooped in the
house where he was fostered. He's been in my home about 24 hours and has
been caught starting to mark/urinate six times already. He lunges for the
door when he as a leash on. I'm working on that first, since he's going out
for walks a LOT until we get the housebreaking worked out. Unlike a puppy,
which I could pick up and move rapidly out the back door, this 50 lb. guy is
much too big. He appears to learn fast: he's never been in a house with a
doggie door, but when Dexter walked through it, Reginald followed without
missing a step. He loves everybody, and is great with kids.

The rescue only had him for two or three weeks. He was immediately taken in
and neutered, and it looks like the stitches have only been out a couple of
days. He got vaccinations and a checkup, but somehow they missed the ears.
Or maybe they weren't bad in the initial intake. I had to clean them today
just as soon as I got home from work. I took nearly half a teaspoon of black
gunk out of each ear up where I could see it, and then used the cleaner the
vet has me keep on hand. He was very docile, which I hope continues.
Meanwhile I scheduled a visit with my vet next week so I can get a better
idea of what the ear problem is. And of course he'll get a good wellness
check too.

He's a clown. He likes to carry things around. Yesterday he picked up his
heavy ceramic food dish in the kitchen, then carried it to the living room
so he wouldn't have to eat alone. Tonight I fed him in the living room, and
he picked up his bowl and dumped it on the floor. Silly dog.
He and Dexter were lying quietly in the backyard when I got home from work -
excellent news, both that he was quiet, and that Dexter wasn't crying like
he did all last week. There's been the expected scuffle - a little snarling
when he tried to push Dexter around (good boy, Dexter). Dex is timid, so
standing his ground is a good thing. As long as it's just a little noise.
But they walk well together, and ride in the car together (log trip
yesterday coming back from California) and so far they're sharing space
nicely.

This turned into a much longer message than expected: I have a tendency to
do that. But I'm sure excited to have good news and a companion for Dexter
that should turn out to be quite the super fellow.
Photos - "Day One: Dexter meets Red":
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31373896@N03/sets/72157644800823860/ (Dexter
is the one that is mostly black and white.)

Tim 'n Puppies
   Dexter and Reginald
   And never forgetting Tippy, Freckles, Beezer, Beethoven, Dreamer, Maggie
d'Earest, and Leia Round all watching from the Rainbow Bridge with great
interest in the goings-on down here in the dawg haus.