[Dailydrool] senior basset backs

lois.leader at cox.net lois.leader at cox.net
Tue Jun 24 15:18:52 PDT 2014

Hi, Droolers.
I'd like to call upon your expertise regarding the backs of senior Basset Hounds. Our esteemed Bobo is 13 and a half (best guesstimate; he is a rescue) and he is definitely slowing down. On occasion he looses his footing and his back legs do the splits.  He recovers from this and walks along fine afterwards. No limping or foot-dragging or anything. He does grumble more when he lies down and gets up. Our vet says he has arthritis. We tried Rimadyl, but his tummy wouldn't tolerate it and Gabapenton(also tried) knocks him out. We give him massages and warm compresses and his food has glucosomine and chondrointin added in (Science Diet Active Longevity.) He doesn't give the impression of being in a  lot of pain. He still enjoys his walks and is up and about.

Of course, I worry about back problems. From reading the Drools it seems they can come on quite suddenly. I would love to get tips on caring for an aging Basset's back. We no longer allow him to climb stairs or get on the furniture. Are there other things we can be doing to give him good back care? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Lois Leader, Bobo the Inhaler and Scout, his Lab assistant.