[Dailydrool] Senior basset backs

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at optimum.net
Wed Jun 25 19:27:28 PDT 2014

 From your description, this sounds to me more like arthritis than a bad
back. Our Holly does the same thing, where she lies down and her legs
splay out. I often give her a hand to help her get her legs back under
her, and she does fine until she lies down again.

Typically, dogs with bad backs cannot turn their paws up again if you
turn them over, so I think your vet is probably right here.

I would not count on the glucosamine and chondroitin in food to take
care of things. As I understand it, that is a small amount that will not
work all that effectively. According to the chart I got from the surgeon
who recommended it for my Abner's back problem, a basset should get 500
mg of glucosamine and 400 mg of chondroitin. For the first six weeks (as
a loading dose), a 25-50 lb. dog should get two daily. The maintenance
dose, after those six weeks is one daily. For a 50-100 pound dog, the

My vet warned me that the amount of the active ingredients in G&C
supplements varies. Since this is not a pharmaceutical drug, there is no
set amount of the active ingredient that must be in the pills. Some
companies include more than others. We started out using a name brand,
as the surgeon suggested, but after a while, it did not seem to work as
well. So I started buying another kind through my vet (it is called
Arthrogen). It has worked much better. But as time goes on, it seems
that Holly is less and less comfortable. Arthritis is a terrible thing.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets