[Dailydrool] Itchy Hounds

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:00:45 PDT 2014

I am a firm believer that baths usually help. They get all the pollen off
the hound's coat. Humans are always told to bathe every night before they
go to bed so they are pollen free all night. I know a daily bath is not
real practical, but we use generic baby wipes that are allergen free to
wipe off the hounds when they come inside during pollen season. I bathe the
crew every week to two weeks ideally. Be sure to use a good quality shampoo
designed for dogs that does not dry out the skin.

If the hydroxazine is not working, you can always try benadryl or generic
zyrtec. If Foxy is getting 2--50mg tabs of hydroxazine, she would get the
same amount of benadryl. She would get one zyrtec once a day. When the
allergist switched me from zyrte to zyxal right after I bought a huge
bottle of generic zyrtec, I put Beauford and Browyn on it when I ran out of
their antihistamines. Browyn is only 37 pounds, so I started her at 1/2
tablet. It worked! Beauford weighs 52, so I gave him a full tablet. It
worked on him as well. I was thrilled. Zyrtec is a LOT cheaper than
hydroxazine. Give it a try. It might work.

I do use a probiotic on the crew's food. I don't have a clue if it helps
with the allergies, but two of the three have IBS and the other one had
kennel cough, parvo and two UTI's by the time she was 16 weeks old. I just
figure her little digestive track needs all the help it can get. I use
NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Prebiotics and Probiotics. I don't think it is
the very best, but it seems to work and is economical.

I don't use yogurt just because I am allergic to dairy and I don't keep any
in the house. I think the supplement I use has a lot more probiotic than a
spoon of yogurt and I don't have to worry about a dairy allergy in the dogs.

There is no guarantee that you eliminated all the food allergies with the
Honest Kitchen. Of course with allergies, there are no guarantees. If I
remember right, you are in California. So, it could be a pollen. Around
here (Indiana), we are just beginning to thaw out. No pollen, but the mold
has definitely started. I have itchy dogs.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer with Beauford (Mom, I itch!), Bugsey (Ha! I am on Atopica year
round and I am fine), and Browyn the Fairy Princess (I itch too! I need my
pills in peanut butter dough!)