[Dailydrool] Abe has a anal gland infection-OUCH!

melissa gibson magbjh at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 07:14:34 PDT 2014

So I get home from vacation last week and Abe's backside is looking dirty and nasty-Go to the vet for an anal gland expression. They are full, they are always full but this time they are full of blood! Poor Abe! So the vet sends me home with 20 days of Clavamox and says come back in a week. Yesterday was the recheck-anal glands full again, still full of blood and infection. Vet is concerned that the healing isn't further along after a week on Clavamox. Vet adds cephalexin (sp?) does a needle aspirate of one of the glands and I had to leave him there for the afternoon. They also did some kind of irrigation to the glands-flushing out the infection (hopefully) Lets just say poor Abe is traumatized from all this rooting around in his butt and now has the cone of shame on so he won't lick and make it more inflamed. The vet said doesn't look like cancer but I am just amazed how this happened out of the blue and doesn't seem to be getting better. Anyone have
 any experience with infected anal glands? I have had Bassets all my life and Abe is the first one that has had to get anal-sac expressions done. Please send some healing drool to Abe's hurty butt.

Melissa