[Dailydrool] My Basset has lost his bark

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Mon May 5 03:54:13 PDT 2014

Hi Tammie,
We have an elder Beagle, Scooter, who lost her aroos.  She still barks, but
does not howl at all.  It was her lack of howling that sent up a flag and
sent us to the vet.  Scoo loves to sing, and she has stopped.   We
discovered she have "larpar"  Short name the vets give laryngeal paralysis.
For Scooter, it is not to a point we need to worry much, of course we do
worry over it.  It is the paralysis, or partial paralysis of the flap in the
esophagus that flips one way or the other depending on whether there is air
going into the lungs of food going into the belly.  Sorts of direct traffic
depending on what.  How the body knows to do this, I have no clue.
Apparently we have one too.
Anyhow, there are degrees of this.  Now Scooter coughs a bit due to this,
but you did not mention any coughing from Jake.   Hoping it is a very simple
answer, but glad you are taking him in for further diagnosis.    I know a
thimbleful about this,  so hope I gave you some accurate info.

Wen and the Bounders sending drool far and wide for all.