[Dailydrool] Need to vent - Long

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 6 03:13:03 PDT 2014

So, I was just out with the dogs enjoying a beautiful spring walk. Suddenly, out of nowhere two Staffordshire Bull Terriers ran across the road and onto the greensward where we were.
Knowing Rolph was likely to tear their faces off if they came close, I held him tight and tried to keep the Staffies at bay.
No sign of an owner.
The Staffs then ran backwards and forwards across the road, dodging traffic and trying to play with my two.
Still no owner. They had collars, but no tags and I was worried about their safety with the road and with Rolph. And Rolph's safety, because if it did kick off, he is now old and arthritic and they were both young and strong.
I took an entrance into the nature reserve and not surprisingly they followed. That got them away from the road, but put Rolph at risk. At that point they were being friendly, but Rolph was getting very agitated.
They ran off, we continued into the nature reserve, when they reappeared and were straight on Rolph. I used that part of my vocabulary reserved for bad situations and my boot-clad feet to kick them off.
It then became a stand-off with me keeping them back with threats. I called the police who "don't deal with stray dogs". At that point they attacked again and the police heard it and put my call through to animal control.
So there I am, in the middle of a field trying to protect my dogs, with the Staffies circling like a pair of hyenas. My two were refusing to walk anywhere because they felt so threatened and anyway, whichever way we went, the Staffs were going to go for them.
Animal control were going to take at least half an hour to get there.
At which point I heard someone call. A man appeared and said they were his and had escaped his garden. He had been on night shift and his kid had left his garden gate open. I was then able to check Rolph for injuries  and told him what they had done. He described it as "being overexcited".
He hadn't brought a lead and declined my offer of one of mine, which meant the dogs got away from him twice more......

Arggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK