[Dailydrool] report on Apoquel

Pat Mayer lilygurl.pat at gmail.com
Tue May 6 13:22:03 PDT 2014

One of our pack of bassets and coonhounds is a bloodhound named Pippa.  She
is about 4 yrs old we think...found in a corn field after a tornado. She
apparently had just had pups but they were not around.  She was near
starvation but the vet/animal hospital/shelter pulled her through.

She is about as sweet and loving as you could get but had the worst
allergies to food and environment that I had ever seen with the exception
of Marlene's Maggie. Scratching til bloody and swollen puffy eyes and hot
skin and ears...she was a mess for two years.  Everything was tried
including her own personal allergy serum...Nothing has worked except some
very expensive food and Pred...and that wasn't really working...just
helping to take the edge off.

So on April 15 we went to the vet and received her 2 weeks worth of
Apoquel...she took a double dose every day. Amazing!  We went back
today...she will step down to a single dose every day...we have 30 days
worth.

Here's a piece of info I'd like to share.  The vet told me that Apoquel
appears to be wildly successful..so much so that already the drug company
cannot keep up.  The vet says they have been put on 'allotments' and that
may end up limiting how much they can dispense for a while until the
situation improves and this time of year more dogs are into the clinic for
allergies.

So if you are thinking about it..you might want to think a little faster.
I am sure that the supplies will improve but being that it came on the
market April 1 when allergies start getting out of control, it has become a
temporary issue.

I am hoping that it proves to be successful for the long term.  We are
happy with the results so far.

Pat

--

*Drool to all in need. Luv and Kissies too.Pwincess LilyGurl ATB , Rudy-
Protege to the pwincess,  and the rest of the entourage*