[Dailydrool] What's wrong with us

Margie Downum mldndallas at aol.com
Fri May 16 19:09:53 PDT 2014

I'm a long time drooler going back to the late 90's to the reign of Queen FeyFey and the numerous other assorted characters.   I've not had a Basset since 2011 as I am now retired and have a small fluffy white dog that together we have become a registered therapy team. I still faithfully read every Drool and I also note there are not as many gut wrenching funny stories as there use to be.  I have friends who lived vicariously through me waiting for the next funny story or the latest update to share of funny Basset antics ... And even they have commented it doesn't seem as "fun" as it used to be.  My Mom passed in January and during the past two years of her gradual decline into the horrid world of dementia, she always loved the Basset antics and brought numerous smiles and laughter.  For that I'm so grateful.  So I agree, come on guys, share your laughs or stories.  I for one really miss them.

On a separate note, if anyone has a registered Basset Hound Therapy Dog through TDInc., TDIncorporated, or the AKC program, please contact me off line.  I love my Shih Tzu and the weekly therapy work we do, but I SO miss having a Basset and would love to adopt one to work towards registration.  I will share my one and only Basset visit experience.  My Mom was in rehab for a month in 2010 and continued to ask about Bosco expressing her desire to see him.  I still worked and wasn't aware of therapy dogs at that time.   I got permission to bring Bosco for a visit, gave him a bath and with current proof of rabies in hand, arrived at the facility.  As we neared my Mom's room, I realized there was a line of residents in their wheelchairs, dying to pet Bosco.  Being the lazy hound he was, and at 60 lbs with short stubby legs, he immediately plopped down, ears laying on the floor and the edges quickly being run over by wheelchair wheels.  I was scared to death some of the residents would fall out of their chairs trying to reach down to pet him.  It was then I decided therapy work was not in Bosco's future, although now as a registered team I realize there are so many non-assisted living/memory care opportunities that I would think hounds could excel in.

Margie Downum, Mandy, Patches, Bosco and wanna-be Wrosie, all ATB.

Sent from my iPad