[Dailydrool] Basset Belly Masseuse

basset911 at aol.com basset911 at aol.com
Tue May 20 14:54:56 PDT 2014

Awaking at Daphneyland every day I really do have to ask myself "What hound will challenge my wits today".
But awaking implies you got sleep - something that is becoming a rare commodity these days.
Many know that our "Daphney" turned 20 years old on March 18, but what is living with a 20 year old Diva like?  Same as it was at 15 let me tell you!
Bedtime here entails singing 60+ hounds to sleep, tucking them in, and then I have the residence hounds to deal with - who are quite disturbed by any change in their routine.  This last year I am pretty sure Daphney's hearing has gone, but that diva knows the second I hit the door.  Woof, Woof, Woof starts the diva soon to be followed by Bodie, Sam & Gem.  Handing out the evenings cookies it's a run to the bed. Daphney has learned if she gets there first, the other hounds can not get up. She takes pole position and woofs at them, and it's hilarious to see 3 large hounds being held on the ottoman step stool by the 20 year old.  Eventually Bodie just goes up anyway and the others are brave enough to ignore the diva's disgust at having to share her bed.

This human finishes up late night email, phone calls and eventually attempts to slither into the open spots of the bed - hoping for covers. After finally achieving a bit of pillow space and part of a blanket, sheer exhaustion over takes one and the dream cycle of counting bassets in your sleep begins. WOOF, WOOF, WOOF.
Startled awake I realize Daphney wants to be lifted off the bed for her 3 a.m. potty break, extracting oneself you gingerly lift the diva to the floor and she waddles out (awaking all other hounds in the process).  She slowly does her potty break, gets a drink and then we start all over.  It's taken a couple of years for me to time my potty breaks to hers - I suppose I should be very grateful I get the alert.
The hard part is once I'm back into a warm spot and snuggled up rubbing her belly - she remembers she's hungry. WOOF, WOOF, WOOF.  We do this 3-5 times nightly.

This last weekend I was made aware that suma wrestlers have a masseuse that massages their belly and stomach to allow for the next large meal.
It occurs to me that Basset's demanding bellyrubs could quite possibly be the same thing. Have I mistakenly thought a bellyrub moment was for a good rubbing and I've been tricked into stomach massage and then food slave demands?  I think it's quite possible......

Dawn of the West - Basset Belly Masseuse
Basset Rescue Network at Daphneyland
www.daphneyland.com
www.facebook.com/daphneyland
661 269-2682