[Dailydrool] Dog LOVE Valerie! Limericks for all, Huzzah, Houndray! Plus, Bridge Crew Sings Opera!

lea pierce leapierce at leapierce.com
Thu May 22 13:15:24 PDT 2014

Well, I let out a big old big basset belly laugh at that limerick, Valerie!
It is wonderful. Foxy loved it as well.

I have been trying to write some myself, but have not come up with anything
yet worth sharing. What a wonderful form, and you are SPLENDID at it!

Speaking of Foxy; I employ myself and keep odd hours, especially when I
wake up in the middle of the night (last night) and can't get immediately
back to sleep (grrrrrrr-wuff!). After I got up (a second time) to feed the
dogs, I tried to go back to sleep.

What to my frustrated ears did appear but two howling hounds, ringing very
near...

Ahroooooooo...
Ahroooooooo...
Ahroooooooo.......

First softly, then gaining slowly in volume. Foxy. Hmmmm. Ignore. She'll
shut up in a minute.

Then, a new voice in a high soprano...

*Ahroooooooo...*

*Ahroooooooo....*

*Ahroooooooo.....*

Claire the Trembling (rescue beagle/basset wannabe) adds her voice

THEN... growing louder with each chorus...

Ahroooooooo!
    *Ahroooooooo!*
Ahroooooooo!
    *Ahroooooooo!*
*Ahroooooooo!*
*    Ahroooooooo!*
*Ahroooooooo!*
*    Ahroooooooo!*
*Ahroooooooo!*
*    Ahroooooooo!*

I think I've woken up in a Basset Baptist Church with the
call-and-response! And, I think a) maybe something is wrong (although the
song did not sound fearful) and b) some neighbor will think I'm kicking
hounds over here...

So, like thousands of houndservants before me, I throw back the covers and
stomp out, hitting the kitchen with a loud "WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU
TWO???!!!!!"

Utter, immediate silence. Claire bolts for the dog door. Foxy looks up at
me and communicates with a glance that *she's* *not happy* her opera was
interrupted. (Foxy doesn't even try to look innocent. She knows who is in
command of the HMS Santa Rosa.)

First time my hounds have engaged in Basset/Beagle Opera.

I suppose they will not do a repeat performance anytime when I am awake.

Sigh.

Lea Pierce
Dogrobber & Houndservant
HMS Santa Rosa
Sailing the Purple Seas of Whine (uh, Wine) Country