[Dailydrool] rimadyl

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 24 10:34:33 PDT 2014

Hi all, clueless momPerson here,

Snoopy and LuLu are both on Rimadyl.  There are risks to long term use, the worst being it tears up their stomach.  Both dogs have arthritus, plus Snoopy has a crooked front leg.  I learned many, many dogs ago that when someone has a flair up give it for 3 days, if they seem fine stop, if they don't seem fine, 2 more days.  Generally I try to go 3 days on, 3 days off.  Snoopy can do 3 days on, 4 or 5 days off.  LuLu is a much longer basset and often is back on before the end of 3 days.  The drug is more effective if not given constantly.  My vet likes this approach, which was my mothers approach (may her memory be for blessing).

it has been my experience, and was that of my mother before me, that when a dog goes on full time pain meds without taking breaks their quality of life declines to the point where they lay in the corner most days ..... and don't last long.  Maybe that is just our bad luck and others have different experiences.  Or maybe it is because we hold off as long as we possibly can letting a dog get to that point.

Finally, please look into metacam if you decide to go with full time pain relief.  I understand that it works better and is easier on the stomach, the main downside being it is significantly more expensive.  Talk to the vet.

Best,
Dale