[Dailydrool] Blue bassets

Chris Dowd cdowd20 at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 16:25:46 PDT 2014

We took a blue basset into rescue several years ago and so far have been lucky that he's had minimal problems.  Marx came to us having spent 7 years on thyroid medication that was not needed.  The vet ran a blood test when he originally prescribed the meds and refilled the 'script for 7 years without ever doing another test.  Because Marx has alopecia (blue dobie syndrome) the vet thought it was a thyroid problem.  We've also had sporadic episodes of rage - always before breakfast... I know his warning signs and keep my distance for the 3-4 minutes he "rages" last. 99.9% of the time he is a great boy - but we always remember that he can turn on a dime.
Seeing "breeders" selling them for mega-bucks as "rare" makes my blood boil.  And too many people do not do their due diligence before forking over hundreds of dollars for an animal that will probably have problems throughout their lives.

Chris Dowd
All Ears
http://allearsbassetsanctuary.org