[Dailydrool] Blue Bassets

lea pierce leapierce at leapierce.com
Wed May 28 16:53:43 PDT 2014

Thanks to Paula for a good synopsis of Blue problems.

Adm. JED is a blue, and while a very attractive hound--a show stopper when
out on a walk, in fact--he developed serious aggression issues in the 18
months he was commanding HMS Santa Rose.

I made the difficult, but correct, decision to re-home him about 6 weeks
ago.

I do not have the skills, temperament, or consistency to deal with an
aggressive dog, no matter how cute or sweet it is "most of the time". I
found myself doing more and more work-arounds to try to avoid getting bit
(reactive biting, and never horribly, because I do know how to de-escalate,
but several episodes of blood and broken skin nonetheless).

The most difficult thing was that the behaviors continued to evolve and it
seemed like every couple of weeks I had to create a new work-around to be
able to live around JED. Like all hound parents, perhaps, I blamed myself
and JED's rough beginning as a stray picked up in Bakersfield. Nurture over
nature, I thought (although he never got anything but respect and love from
me).

I personally do not believe that humans (me) should adjust everything to
accommodate difficult dogs.  Certainly there is give and take in living
with any animal--the habitat has to support both human and pet. I am also
not of the belief that every dog should be kept alive no matter what. Some
dogs need to be put down. It's never a good decision, but sometimes it is
the right decision.

JED was/is certainly worth rescuing, and I am glad GGBR did just that.
However, when I got him, I did not know he was a blue and I did not know
what blue meant.

I would always help rescue a blue and help find it a good home with someone
who is FULLY INFORMED what blue means. Of course they MUST be spayed by any
responsible person, rescue, or breeder. For JED, his ear problems may have
been attributable to blue; his aggression certainly is. Who knows if
kidney/skin/lymphoma problems would have developed. He was not full grown
when I got him; he is probably (maybe) a 3 year old now.

In the end, he started beating up on Lady Foxy and this Ship does not
tolerate bullies, especially when human hands (mine, and I write with them
to make kibble) are responsible for breaking up the fight. If I did not
segregate him at feeding time, it was a brawl (JED aggressing). If I did
not feed him first, he got snarly. If I tried to move him from the bed or
the couch or any place, he snapped. (I had to put a leash on him and then
he moved fine--go figure.)

I have also concluded that my biggest contribution to the breed (besides
fundraising for rescue) is to work with foster dogs (like Foxy). I love it,
so I need house hounds that like guests.

I can say with absolute assurance that I am not a person who can live with
or help an aggressive dog, blue, pink, purple or any color, aggressive by
genetics or by abuse. I can also say with absolute assurance that, now that
I know, I will never adopt another blue--I just can't do it.

And this: Dog Bless breeders who breed away from that gene. Imagine the
suffering of the hound! Not to mention what can happen in a household. JED
can never be around children because of his severe food aggression ("my
food is my food; your food is my food; all food is my food AND I WILL BITE
ANYONE WHO GETS IN THE WAY AND I WILL ATTACK TO GET YOURS"... was how it
ended up).

I also, as Paula mentioned, have to be realistic about how much vet care I
can afford. Making those decisions ahead of time is part of responsible
ownership. Of course there are no guarantees, but good breeding helps.
Certainly, as a dog gets older and needs more (like Claire the Trembling),
I'm up for that. No old dog will be abandoned in my house for need of care.
But that's a far, far different thing than walking into a situation knowing
the potential for devastating health and behavioral problems.

I know there have been blue bassets that don't have problems and do quite
well with families. However, my belief is that dogs are 80% genetic--nature
over nurture (just watch a city-raised beagle hit the scent in a field for
the first time). I do think DNA is definitive in most animal husbandry.

Those of us who love the breed must, as Paula said, educate people about
what is a well-bred basset and what is not. They are love-chunks,
delightful beasties, truly wonders. But when they are badly bred, it does
no one any good--not the hound, not the human.

So the Adm. has been cut new orders and the HMS Santa Rosa sails on. The
greatest gift I have been given by rescue is understanding that it really
is about the hound, and being faithful to a dog means doing what is right
for the dog--which doesn't necessarily mean keeping him in a bad situation.

I have not posted about this because it has been very difficult. Like most
of us might, I have taken it as a personal failure, even though I
intellectually understand this is about genetics.

I do thank Dog for the Adm. as I learned a great deal and have the solace
of knowing I have done my best by him, and that he is in a better situation
than I can provide.

Here's to healthy, long-lived pets with splendid temperaments and a big
goof factor.
Dog love those breeders who love bassets enough to breed to standard and
breed for health. There is not a better companion on earth than a basset.

Lt. Lea "All Hounds On Deck!" Pierce
Houndservant & Dog Robber to
The HMS Santa Rosa