[Dailydrool] Small Bassets

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Fri May 30 12:10:21 PDT 2014

I noticed someone asked about 'small' bassets, I'm wondering if you've
considered a bagel? My parent's bagel girl fully grown is around 35-40 lbs
(depending on the day & # of cookies she's had, hehe!) she's pretty petite,
basically the 'beagle' frame, but a little bit longer in body, cockeyed
feet & longer ears. I know not all bagels turn out like that & some can get
quite large, but it maybe something to consider when you're looking for
your next little furgirl. Or maybe a doxie/basset mix, I've heard that
those tend to be a bit smaller & they're all 'hound' so that goofball
personality is usually still there.
Also, and this will sound weird, try contacting some of the southern
rescues. I kid you not! My Emma came up from down south & she should be
around 45 lbs full sized (she's a tad bit "fluffy" at the moment; it was a
long winter & she loves her cookies...) and I mentioned to some folks I
know who worked rescue down south that she was way smaller than any of the
other hounds we've had, & they said the hounds they generally saw in rescue
were smaller than their 'northern' counter parts. I'm not sure if this is
just something they tell us silly northerners, or if that is in fact true,
but I have heard it now from a few different folks in AR, TX & LA... Just
something else to keep in mind. Not sure where you're located, but I know
several rescues (bassets & other breeds too) from like AL & MS & LA
transport dogs up north for adoptions, so that maybe an option to explore.
But, I think that if you put some feelers out, you'll probably be able to
find a little girl that'll work for you.

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey & Emma, with Slater (ATB), Aunty to Checkers, Domino
& Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473