[Dailydrool] Starting to look for an additional rescue basset

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 23 11:48:46 PST 2014

My DH has asked me to send out feelers to any rescues who might be willing to let us adopt one (or even two) of their bassets. As most of you know, one of our seniors, Commander Bo, passed away in June.  This leaves us with our other 11 years young basset, Harley, and our navy houseguest, Mila, 4 years old, who will be with us for maybe six more months while her mom is out to sea. Harley and Mila are best friends, and we are anticipating that her departure will be hard on all of us, especially Harley. So Bill suggested we should start working on expanding our basset family into a next generation.

what we would be looking for would be a not alpha, 2-4 year old, housetrained, spayed female (kind of like Mila!)  Harley is alpha in our household.  After six years of providing intensive medical care for a special needs basset, we'd prefer a relatively physically healthy dog to start out with.

we have a great basset home--bassets, large fenced yard with ramp and doggie door access 24/7, momslave who is home almost all of the time (works from home), good veterinary care, food, the works. Lots of basset love and long ties to the Drool community.

fortunately for us, but complicatedly for rescues, we live in Hawaii. Bassets here are scarce. I have not placed one in over two years (I'm one of three of the basset go-to folks in the islands).  What is complicated in importing bassets is our quarantine. any dog coming to us would need to be with you an additional 120 days and have some veterinary tests on your end (rabies titers, vacciinations) and then be flight crated and flown here. I could work with you on that and we would of coursepay those expenses. It is not an insurmountable problem.  I know Arizona Basset Hound Rescuer has sent bassets here in the past, but don't see any bassets on your website currently that fit. (there's a lovely alpha girl but I fear she and Harley would clash for status.

So....any rescues that might be interested in working with me? Val and Bill, Harley of Hawaii and Mila the navy houseguest