[Dailydrool] Cost Analysis of Making Your Own Liver Treats

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:34:28 PDT 2014

Well, as many of you know I just dehydrated a semi huge batch of chicken
liver and gizzards. I bought 6 packages of each. I should have bought 7 to
fully load the dehydrator. Oh well. I think in this case being a little
short is better than having too much. Both were $1.19 a pound, not on sale.
It took about 19 hours of run time in the garage. That was 15. 65 pounds of
meat. When it was all nice and dehydrated, I had 1 pound 11 ounces of each
liver and gizzards. I looked up where I used to buy freeze dried liver. It
was $30.99 for 20 oz. which is $1.47 an ounce. To make my own was 33 cents
per ounce, a half hour of my time to load the dehydrator and probably
another half hour to empty it. Plus, the electricity to run the dehydrator.
If I had really been thinking, I could have plugged in my Killimeter. Yes,
my husband bought one of those gadgets that tells you how much it costs to
run just about anything in the house. I just didn't think to do it. The
dehydrator only runs at 150 degrees. So I am pretty sure we are talking
cents here not dollars. It only costs $21 to run my little dorm fridge for
a year. This was a several hours. After all this calculating, I will be
continuing to make my own liver and gizzard treats and ignoring all the
comments about the funky smelling garage.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess who is
boycotting all store bought treats.