[Dailydrool] Dogs on Prozac

Jablonski, Jill jjablonski at comcast-spectacor.com
Wed Oct 8 06:43:21 PDT 2014

My lab was put on Prozac after the death of my cat.  Prior to medicating him, he would sit in front of where my cat used to sleep and cry.  He stopped eating and was lethargic - it was pitiful.  At that time, there was nothing medically wrong with him.  He missed his friend.  Prozac was a miracle drug for him.   He was on it for another 5 years until he passed away from oral melanoma.

My basset, Jilly, is on Paxil and Zanax.  She came to me with severe separation anxiety.  We tried everything and this combination worked.  Low dose - it just calms her nerves.  Without it, she would bark nonstop the entire time I was away from the house.  My neighbors were NOT happy.  When I got Dudley, he was also put on the same combination.  We believe Dudley was abused.  He is terrified of EVERYHING and shakes and whines.  Again, his behavior is so much better now.  My vet told me that there is no stigma attached to these.  If you were diabetic, you would take insulin.  If you have anxiety issues, you take anti-anxiety meds.  We tried everything prior to resorting to this combination, but finally, I have happy and healthy dogs.  And my neighbors are once again friends with me now that the non-stop barking has stopped.

We worked with my vet to come up with the lowest dose possible that still provided the desired results.  I don't know their doses off the top of my head.  But Dudley can have 1-2 Zanax twice a day for his weight.  We give him ½ once a day - occasionally ½ twice a day if he is being boarded or going through stress.  Jilly's overall dosage is lower (she's small).  Work with your vet.

Jill, Jilly (she came named) and Dudley