[Dailydrool] Sam ATB 9/14/2014

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 14 11:12:20 PDT 2014

Sorry if this comes through twice, but did not look like it sent the first
time.

Wanted to share this video I took this morning, shortly before we had to let
Sam go to the Bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxvmM4E2azs
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxvmM4E2azs&list=UUpD3t2Xv1Q5ZNFqRJMgkQ_g>
&list=UUpD3t2Xv1Q5ZNFqRJMgkQ_g

Below is what I posted on FB a few minutes ago.

I awoke with a very sad dream still in my head. Sam was lying next to a
really large hearth, with a fire going. I was there, and was concerned he
was getting too close, but thought he might be trying to warm up his old
bones. (Sam has had really bad arthritis since we got him over 2 years ago.)
I watched him as he pushed his way closer and closer, never getting into the
fire, but I sure was worried. I looked around the hearth and there were
other Bassets there too, old ones, I knew none of them. No one got as close
to the fire as Sammie. That is all I remember. I got up and went over to
where Sam was sleeping and he was shaking, I know with his joint pain. We
have been watching him decline over the last few months, and knew he was
hurting more and more. The meds we have been giving him seemed to not be
helping much any longer. So today, we have let him run to the Bridge,
running fast, just cause he can now, he is no longer in any pain.
I do not think I ever heard Sam growl at anyone, he was a sweet hound and
was happy to have a place to lay his body. I remember when he came to us,
the owner was about to let him jump from the back of their SUV, and I caught
him right before he leapt to set him on the ground. Even back then he could
not walk well and I guess am not surprised, if that is how he was being
treated. Sammy liked to climb on the bed after his breakfast for a little
nap. It took him a while but we let him do it as it seemed like he had a
little pride in being able to get up there.
I am going to leave him up on the banner for a few more days to honor him.
We will miss you. and love you, Sam man! Bridge Bounders will welcome you!

Drool to all.

Wen and the Bounders