[Dailydrool] Morse Goes Flat and Hitches a Lift

Rebecca Louise Stanton pummorse at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 04:18:19 PDT 2014

​Morse is now nearly 10, and you would really think that I Would Know
Better.  Yesterday we plodded out of the door and he made for  the road
straightaway vs going into the basset taxi (my car).    I didn't take my
phone as I thought he would probably just go for a quick turd and then we
would head out in the car.  But no, he wanted to go up the road, which is a
VERY steep hill.  Up we went and reached the farm at the top.  I said
perhaps it would be a good idea to turn back to the car?  But no.  He was
heading forcefully ahead, like a rhinoceros on a mission, plodding
purposefully.  This was worrying.  It is still quite warm over here and we
were getting further away from home, I had no phone with me (typically) and
hubby was in the pub.  However, Morse had no wish to go into reverse and
any attempts I made at a move backwards were met with immediate resistance
(flat basset).  We continued on.  We had got to around half a mile from
home, just by a sheep field, and Morse looked through the gate at the
sheep, let out a barely audible hrrrrmphhh, and slowly but methodically lay
down.  I gave a little tug at the lead but this was met with a huge frown
and hooded eyes glaring at me reproachfully.  The look clearly said "how
could you have let me walk all this way and expect me now to walk back? And
furthermore, where is my taxi?"   I had an urge to bung him into the sheep
field and run for the car, but that could  have been disastrous.  I am sure
the sheep would have ganged up on him.  We stood and waited.  And waited.
The sheep got bored of staring at us and went back to lazily eating the
grass.  Morse looked around him, but any times I thought he was perhaps
keen to move on again were met with huge disapproval.  He was unmoveable
and cross that I would even consider budging him.  At one point when I
tried to move him he lay his head down as well so that it went under the
gate into the sheep field with them gazing benignly back at him.  One
walker did stop and ask if he was alright and I just said he was tired,
whereas the response should have been "he is a lazy blighter".  Finally,
after about 45 minutes of me scrutinising any passing traffic (one of which
was a horse, they could possibly have towed him?) and Morse glaring at me
with an "are we still here?" look on his face,  a neighbour and his son
came down the road in their car.  Not a close neighbour, but near enough to
be flagged down, and they are used to Morse and his ways.  I relayed the
situation to them, to which they cheerfully replied "we drove past ages ago
and saw you!"  I explained  "I'm afraid he just won't walk".   However, as
I was explaining about this lack of mobility, Morse got up and trotted to
the car in a spritely fashion, and was loaded into the back of the
car, looking at both neighbours in benevolent appreciation while I
continued to babble on about "can be a bit stubborn at times".  The shame.

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB