[Dailydrool] Problem with homemade liver treats

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at optimum.net
Tue Sep 30 04:35:12 PDT 2014

Belvedere, our hound who was allergic to corn, started me on making
homemade treats. The results were so good, I started the Dashing Basset
Bakery, my treat "business" that goes into gear occasionally and only to
benefit rescue.

That doesn't mean I always make homemade treats for my hounds. It
depends on how busy I am with work and what the weather is (I'm less
likely to bake in the summer). But when I do bake, it's such a blessing
to watch my hounds eat a treat, then look at me with those "can I have
another one?" eyes--the look they give for my treats is so much more
expressive than the one they give for store-bought treats. The hounds
here at the Dashing Basset Bakery love their Mama Treats because they
are fresh made--which is why I always try to make the DBB treats as
close to an event as possible. Who wants old treats that come from
stores and have been sitting around for who knows how long, when you can
have fresh ones?

I highly encourage slaves to bake or dehydrate for their hounds. We're
coming into good dehydrating weather here in New Jersey, and at least
two my hounds will be happy about that (Holly is allergic to almost all
meat, so she gets the special oven-baked salmon treats).

Just one warning: If you bake liver treats, be ready to have your house
smell like liver. You can reduce the smell by not putting too much liver
in the treats. Your hounds won't mind all that much, and you'll be able
to breathe a lot better.

Pam, food slave and treat maker for the Dashing Bassets