[Dailydrool] how many animals are allowed?

Valerie via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Apr 24 00:51:54 PDT 2015

hawaii as a state is interesting with regards to this question. The state laws say that one household may not have more than ten dogs, though a household may have an unlimited number of cats.

Then the caveats start. probably less than a fourth of rentals allow any pets at all. those that do usually have "weight" and number limits--most commonly one dog or cat weighing less than 25 pounds. So finding a rental for a larger dog, multiple dogs, or multiple cats is a challenge with very limited supply and much larger demand. military base rentals restrict the breeds of dogs allowed--no pitbulls or rottweilers or crosses with these breeds (which is tough here, as pitbulls are probably the most common breed of dog in the islands).

For homeowners, restrictions depend upon whether there is a homeowner's association in the neighborhood or not. HOA's tend to do the weight restriction thing (which automatically excludes pitbulls as well as golden retrievers).

one of the criteria my husband and I have always stuck to when looking for houses is "no home owners' associations, no gated communities". We have and do like our neighborhoods, but given our requirements, we also tend to end up in more casual, rural neighborhoods with a lot of pitbulls, rotties, and so forth.  In our last neighborhood, that was a big problem when a couple of aggressive, chained pits got loose from time to time and went marauding. We haven't run into that problem in our current neighborhood, which for the most part has better tended dogs who are pets instead of primarily canine burglar alarms. I had to laugh when my grown son said to me one time--"you know, I really prefer to live in kind of run down neighborhoods, maybe because that's where we've always lived".