[Dailydrool] A few more thoughts about Jimmy

Valerie via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Dec 3 20:00:21 PST 2015

I had a couple more ideas about Jimmy. I do not know how often he is fed now, but I wondered if breaking down his meals into smaller amounts given more frequently might help, if this is a possibility for you. Otherwise (if possible) adding a couple of between meal snacks so that it is never really very long since he's had a bit of something. If I recall correctly, the late Commander Bo, who also suffered doggie dementia, ate three regular meals a day with a midmorning snack, a mid afternoon snack, and a bedtime snack (6 food opportunities). Of course, I am retired, so that wasn't hard to do. Also, attaching some specific stimulus to mealtimes. (My two dogs now know they are fed when my phone alarm goes off, so they wait for that. i think it makes them less anxious for food since they know--ring tone equals dinner--no ringtone, not time yet).  For a deaf dog, hmm--maybe doing a jig on the floor, or uncapping a perfume bottle or.....

Also, our vet had the Commander on Prozac and Valium at bedtime, which made the world of difference for his sleeping through the night.

Bo was a real sweetheart despite his cataracts and dementia and seemed quite happy until his very last days. i do miss my boys so much. Val of Hawaii vlbzwick at yahoo.com