[Dailydrool] Happy Dance

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Dec 10 05:05:28 PST 2015

We are all dong the happy dance! I really thought I was going to have to go
to the vet. I really did. I had this hot spot pop up from no where. I would
say I wasn't even scratching or anything, but I have learned that no one
buys that story around this house. It doesn't work for the mom, and it
doesn't work for me. Anyway, it was very red and oozing all kinds of
grossness. The mom was worried because some of the places were quite deep.
She cut back the hair, which was really easy because it was in the exact
same spot as my one in May. So she just did a little trimming. Then she got
the worst of the grossness off with hydrogen peroxide. Then she switched to
soap and water because it doesn't burn or damage the skin as much. Then she
cleaned it with chlorhexadine pads. After that dried, she sprayed it with
genesis spray (prescription steroid magical spray) and gave me temeral-p
(prescription antihistamine with steroid in it). It worked! The next
morning it looked better. So when I am in the kitchen mom cleans it with
the chlorhexadine pads. When I am going in my crate, she sprays it with
genesis spray. I have to do the whole taper down on the steroid thing with
my temeral-p. For the record, I am also on apoqyl, benadryl and zyrtec.
This is why we are retesting me for allergies, along with Bugsey and
Browyn.  Anyway, I am still doing the happy dance!

Beauford with Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess

Note from the mom: Please note that I would not have tried to treat a hot
spot on my own if I didn't have so many tools in the tool box. I KNEW this
was a hot spot and not amything else because Beauford gets them fairly
regularly. I had the chlorhexadine and the steroid spray and oral tablets.
This thing went from nothing to over a quarter in size in about 10 hours.
These can get wicked and nasty in no time. They are very susceptible to
secondary infections. So don't mess around if you think you have one on
your basset.

Jennifer

timandjenmartin at gmail.com