[Dailydrool] Remembering her, part 2

Mr Shannon R Gerdel via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Jul 26 20:51:37 PDT 2015

She was by far the most abused animal I had ever been around. I didn't
realize it until she'd been here for quite some time that she had been so
abused, that if someone ever wanted to harm her, she wouldn't defend
herself, or try to get away. I miss her so much, my sweet sweet girl!

She was let of the leash once she got in the house, and ran as fast as she
could away from anyone here, especially her new Brother. She ran into the
office, and crawled as far under the desk as she could get. She'd eat under
the desk, and when it was time to go out, she'd run like she was being
chased through the house to the back yard. She'd come in, and run as fast
and as far under that desk as she could get.

I started going in the office and laying on the floor with here. I would
very gently pet her, and talk to her, and tell her that she was home, and
that she was loved, and that she was safe. That routine continued for
months, when to my surprise, she ran into the bedroom, and laid down on the
corner of the bed that was farthest from the door. I often said that it was
a good thing that I couldn't find the people that had caused my sweet girl
so much pain.

She started, over a period of YEARS to work herself closer and closer to
the closest corner to the door, and then to the doorway, Etc. One day, not
so many years ago, my sweet sweet girl ran in the house, and jumped up oin
the couch. I was so happy! It was always a joy to watcher her through the
windows, because once in the back yard, she was okay. She could be herself.

Over the years, she got to be a true boss. She was afraid of every noise,
the smallest noise could startle her. More that once I had to apologize to
her for scaring her, on accident. And then she realized that she could
shake her collar to get my attention, and when it shook, it was either
food, or out. And if she didn't get your attention with the first shake,
then you got an even louder shake the 2nd time. She turned ino quite a
pushy lady...LOL

I could write about my Babe for forever, but won't because I've been tired
all week. I'm falling asleep as I type this.

Babe was Daddy's girl. She knew she had me wrapped around her paw. And she
had no problem pushing me out of bed. Her tailpipe would release a silent,
but Deadly gas that could make the people accross the street put on gas
masks!

Thank you, Daily Drool members. It was this site that convinced me to get a
friend for Boomer. And I ended up with my beautiful Barbers.

Mr. Shannon R. Gerdel
3583 Meadowlark Drive
Casper WY 82604
bassethoundbutler at gmail.com