[Dailydrool] Dog Doors

Kathy Wilson via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Jun 8 14:14:58 PDT 2015

Riche asked if any of us have bassets who will use the dog door when
unobserved, but demand that the door be opened when the slave is present.
While I don't have any experience with that phenomenon,  I'd like to add a
question to Riche's: we have a basset wannabe (a harrier) who will go out
the dog door, but has forgotten how or is afraid to come back in.  He's 14
and otherwise fine.  When he finds himself outside, he'll wait patiently,
sometimes for hours, for someone to notice he's not in the house and to let
him back in.  He won't even come in when Twinkletoes is outside with him and
comes back in through the dog door.  Do you think this is a form of
dementia?  If so, I'm sorry it's happening, but certainly grateful that he
still remembers how to go out!  Any suggestions on how to help our old guy
would be appreciated!  Kathy Wilson, Twinkletoes, and Hooter the harrier
("How come no one misses me when I'm outside???")