[Dailydrool] Neutering

K. Green via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Jun 8 14:33:48 PDT 2015

Cowboy was 4 when we finally neutered him, and it to was because of the
enlarged prostate and warning of what would eventually happen if we didn't
do it.

I didn't expect it to make a big difference personality-wise, although I
wasn't against it helping to curb humping of dogs 5x his size at the park.
Lucky for us, it did help with that little problem, but what really
surprised me was Cowboy's new found affection towards us.

Prior to being neutered, he laid by the front door a lot, or outside, or
anywhere he wanted, that did not include being near us. After being fixed,
he became a lot more affectionate, wanting pets and bellyrubs and attention
and spending a lot less time alone.

He is still a very independent dog and he does sleep outside throughout the
day, alone on our bed for his afternoon nap, and in other places around the
house, but overall we definitely felt that he seemed "happier" after being
"fixed." I never bought the expression, "they're happier afterward" but in
Cow's case, I really do think it mellowed him out enough to enjoy being
with his people more.

Drool on,
Kacy with Cow and Ru
greenlikethecolor at gmail.com