[Dailydrool] Classic Basset Moments -- what makes you say, "Oh, that's HIM/HER!"

Mary Wilson via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Jun 15 15:19:22 PDT 2015

Hello droolers,

Lately I've been thinking about defining moments in the lives of my
critters -- those events that seem to totally express the critter's
character. Am I the only person who does this?

For example, take Paddi B Basset. One evening soon after I got my phd I was
sitting on the couch with the rest of the family watching a movie. There
were five available couch seats. There were five people. All the lights
were out. Paddi was sighing on her dog bed and pacing a bit. She suddenly
went to the back door and gave her very polite "let me out please" woof.
Well-trained slave that I am, I walked through the darkened house to the
back door and opened it. Behind me, I heard a "clatter click clatter" --
the racing sound of a basset who had doubled back in the hallway and
streaked into the living room -- followed by the "swISH!" of a basset
landing on the couch. In my spot. "PhD, right?" a helpful family member
commented... It was the classic Paddi Basset moment.

Vernon Q Basset was a more straightforward soul. He loved nothing better
than sitting on the couch with my mother-in-law, who was disabled by a
stroke and couldn't move on her own. She was often rather slow to leave her
bedroom in the morning, and if she didn't appear quickly enough, Vern would
stand at her bedroom door. "Woof! Woof! WOOF!" he would state firmly, and
loudly, and repeatedly until the person helping her got her out to the
couch. She'd no sooner be settled, tucked under an electric blanket, than
he would climb carefully up on the couch (Vernon Q was not a jumper) and
with a great "Harumphh" of a sigh, settle on her lap for a good rest. (Only
his front end. Mid-back to tail stayed on the couch beside her.) They're
both gone now, but we all know their couch spot.

When we got the late lamented Billy B Basset, the notation on his shelter
file said, "He likes very much soup bones." As a treat, we got him a huge
leg bone (cow) for his gotcha day. As it happened we were going for a walk
in the woods with a couple of visitors of whom he was fond the day after he
got the bone. He had to come -- but the bone had to come too. He rushed
ahead of us, then lay on the path and chewed furiously until we were a
little distance ahead, then up with the bone and zoomed past us to settle
in for another chew. He repeated this for the duration of the walk.
Although that was likely his most ridiculously basset-ish act, my favourite
Billy memory is of walking through the house at night. Didn't matter what
time it was, or how dark, if he heard one of us walk by, we'd hear his tail
thump thump thumping on the couch.

Do the rest of your droolers have these "only that dog" mental movies of
your characters? I'd love to hear some!

Mary
with Paddi B Basset (currently on two dog beds and a pillow rather than the
couch)
and thinking of Vernon Q and Billy B Bassets, at the bridge