[Dailydrool] Morse update - pseudomonas infection

Adrienne Gillespie via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Jun 15 17:11:08 PDT 2015

Fiona has had several psudomonas infections in her ears. It has been an
ongoing problem almost since I got her. You are correct that there are
few antibiotics that fight it. Right now, she is on an ear drop cocktail
that is a mic of Baytril, dexamethasone, and tobramycin. Before that she
was on a mix of Baytril, dexamethasone,and amakacin, which is REALLy
expensive. ($240/month for the drops!!!). We;ve also had drops with
clindamycin, polymixin and few others I can't remember.

Here is what I've learned:

1. You can use something for a while, then it will stop working. You try
something else and then it stops. Eventually, you can cycle back to one
that worked before, so don;t throw anything away!!!

2. You must be vigilant. As soon as you see a flare up happen, get in
and at your vet run a culture. That way you will know just the right
drug to use and not waste time while the problem spins out of control.
The culture will usually give you a couple of drugs to choose from. They
don;t always give the the most expensive one first.

3. Develop a cleaning protocol. Fiona gets her ears flushed every other
day with a mix of water and EpiOtic cleaner (not sure if that is
available in the UK or not). I also bather with shampoo containing
chlorhexadine and have chlorhexadine wipes for hot spots.

This might sound like a lot of work, but it is just part of our routine
now.

Be patient, but vigilant. It will clear up eventually. If it is not,
have your vet check the culture results and see what other options there
are.

---

Adrienne Gillespie
clara at spiritone.com