[Dailydrool] Houndie Names

Lisa K. Metzler via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Mar 25 15:38:09 PDT 2015

Happy Spring, Droolers!  We have sunshine and 81 degrees currently here in San Marcos, Texas.  And typical of Texas, wait a bit and that will change:  cloudy and overcast tomorrow with possible rain and somewhere in the 60s....

We girls are getting into a new routine after saying goodbye to our Pelly on March 6.  Thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts, they are greatly appreciated.  It is hard to believe it's almost three weeks.  I'm not sure that he hasn't paid us a couple of visits, though...there have been some times at night when we are settled in, when Addie or Madison will stop and stare at one particular corner of the room for a few moments, then give a little whimper, and come over to me to be petted.  Annie will do the same, but she will give a little growl and then one or two of her little Bagel barks.  The table in that corner is where Pelly's cedar box, as well as those of Penelope and Jasmine, is located, and it used to be his favorite spot to hide.  So, maybe he comes back to check on us.  I like to think so.

As for "The Naming of the Hounds" (my apologies to T.S. Eliot...), we have a mixture here.  Penelope (Basset/Brittany cross) came to me as Paula.  But the name just didn't fit, it was too "bland" for her (not that Paula, in general is bland, mind you!), and I wanted something that matched her funny personality.  So, consulting, of all things, the TV Guide, I came across Penelope from Criminal Minds...perfect fit!

Jasmine, my "small brown hound with the GREAT BIG WOOF", came with her name.  She was a quirky little Basset girl who was a bit opposite of her sweet-sounding name, but was a real love once she decided we were ok.  My Dad always called her Mildred, though.  He said she reminded him of an old librarian he remembered from his elementary school days.  He said she needed some round, wire-rimmed glasses perched on the end of her nose.

Pelly is short for Pellinore, who was a wandering/questing king in the King Arthur stories.   (If you've seen Camelot, he shows up there with his dog.) our Pelly was so named because he was picked up as a stray wandering around San Angelo, TX.  He had his own lovely white "ermine" collar with black ticking, so the name fit.  A true gentlehound he was.

This is getting long, so to save the Mods the hassle, I'll send the rest in part 2...

Drool to all in need...seems as if The Bridge and the vet-people have been waaaay too busy lately

Lisa
Addie, Madison, and Annie-the-Energizer Bagel
Penelope, Jasmine, and Pelly---ATB

Sent from my iPad