[Dailydrool] Houndie Names, part 2

Lisa K. Metzler via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Mar 25 15:35:44 PDT 2015

This thread has been fun to read.  Does anybody ever consult baby naming books or websites to find names for their furkids?

Continuing with my houndies' names...

Addie...  Well, I know Bassets can jump, as evidenced by the videos of the agility Bassets, but I'd never seen one jump straight up in the air before I met this silly little puppy at the local shelter. Boinga-boinga-boinga!  I really thought she was part kangaroo.  Her name actually comes from the comic role of Adelaide in Guys and Dolls, but Adelaide is also the capitol of the province of South Australia, where, of course, kangaroos roam, so it seemed fitting.  Addie's full nickname is Addie Lou Roo, the Baby Kangaroo Basset.  She doesn't do as much kangarooing now that she's a big girl of almost 7, but once in a while...

Miss Madison Mae came to me as Maddie, although her name was listed as Madison on her adoption papers.  Well, we had a lot of confusion with Addie and Maddie, so she became Madison.  I actually think it fits her better. She's a quiet clown.  She's got a very subtle sense of humor most of the time, but some of the things she does--like stealing a whole box of blueberry muffins from the farthest reaches of a tall counter with nary crumb of evidence, or opening a weighted  ice chest lid (stool on top!) to steal a cooked half turkey breast--are just funny because she looks so innocent behind her blonde eyelashes.  Her "middle name", Mae, is a tip of the hat to my friend Elizabeth (sometimes known as Betty Mae), who helped me get Madison, and the fact the Madison MAY do anything--and usually does!

And last, but never least is little Annie-Bug.  Annie, aka Annie-the-Energizer Bagel has been with us a wee bit over a year now.  She came from Basset Rescue Across Texas, and was originally named Paisley.  She'd been fostered and adopted once, but came back to the rescue after only a few months.  They renamed her Annabelle, then Anna, but I didn't want her ri be known as Anna Banana, so she became Annie, as in Little Orphan Annie...  I hadn't met Annie when we decided to rename her, so I did not know what a little pistol she was.  Needless to say, Orphan Annie became Annie Oakley in a half-second.  She truly is a pistol, and true to the Beagle side of her lineage, a very busy little girl who just keeps going and going and going....

I'm not sure who the next one will be.  I think it depends on the dog.  And, to nod again at T.S. Eliot, " The Naming of Dogs (C at ts) is a difficult thing."

Lisa
Addie, Madison, and Annie-the-Energizer Bagel
Penelope, Jasmine, and Pelly---ATB

Sent from my iPad