[Dailydrool] Name game

Riche Churchill via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Mar 26 10:03:45 PDT 2015

As a dog magazine editor for nearly 50 years, imagine have seen and
typed at least a gazillion names; mostly show names, but many call
names, too. Thusly, as a self-proclaimed expert, can tell you that most
pet owners are way more imaginative than show owners about call names.
Most annoyingly, most show-dog call names have no apparent link to the
show name, and unless you're in the "in" crowd, will have no idea what
dog they're talking about.

Naming a show dog is complicated;  the "kennel name" can't have been
used by anyone else and number of letters restricted. It used to be 25,
but now one can pay to add extra letters and some people go overboard.
In the olden days, names were much simpler and shorter; usually easy to
remember and spell. To an editor, the latter is very important (and
should be to the breeder...) and the former ought to be important to
all, but no longer seems to be. Excessively long names are the bane of
any editor's existence. They don't fit most formats, are ripe for
misspelling, impossible to remember.

The unwritten rule used to be that the name began with the breeder's
kennel name (i.e., "First Class Xxx"). Sometimes a buyer was allowed to
start the name with their own kennel name and end with breeder's name
(i.e., "Yahoo's Whosit of First Class"), but I never understood the
seller's logic there. Most lists are alphabetical, so keeping your name
first would be in your favor for advertising and history referencing.
Sometimes this was done because the new owner owned the sire, but most
often was simply to get one's own kennel name introduced. or "seen."

Generally, it was considered gauche to use one's actual full name as a
"kennel name" (such as "Nancy Evans") and only a tiny few did so. Many
used just their first or last name, however, and that was and is
considered quite acceptable.

My personal favorites in show-dog naming practices are those who follow
a "theme" and their dogs' names always keep to a pattern -- movie stars,
cocktail names, food items, astronomy or royalty, and so forth.

But, back to call names: It does seem to me that Bassets are given
"people" names more frequently than are other breeds or mutts. Every
Basset I've ever owned had a people-name, usually part of their show
name, except for Plum-Ugly. Bless his heart.

Riche (The Bugler)
buglr at blomand.net
P.S. Have noticed many saying they like to see the email addy at end of
post, but very few are doing it -- even the ones who say they like it! (?)