[Dailydrool] Gentle Leaders

Jane Hay via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu May 7 14:43:42 PDT 2015

I tried one when Suzy first came to us. She also had had no training and
wasn't used to a collar or anything. She spent a lot more time on the
ground trying to rub it off than she did walking. In retrospect, I would
also worry about a dog trying to take off and the potential damage to their
neck if they were hard headed enough to not stop. We went through a variety
of walking devises and the one that we found and have stuck with are Holt
Harnesses (I have no affiliation with this company). They're very light but
there is something about the way they hug the hounds body that really helps
slow them down and stops them from pulling me all over the neighborhood.
Personally, I don't like just a collar and leash just because a couple of
our hounds will pull and pull regardless of how much they're being choked
and I worry about them damaging their neck vertebrate along with hurting
their throats. There is a video on youtube that shows how to get the Holt
Harness on and I would suggest you take a look at it if you try one.
They're easy to get on once you know what you're doing but you're going to
feel like you need an engineering degree the first time you try to put it
on. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgaCZ-Uvq7I.

Good luck!

Jane, Toby & the Houndettes
Shadow, Suzy & Ginger