[Dailydrool] Shivering

Brenda Waldrop via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed May 13 07:23:12 PDT 2015

Bev,

Bailey, my 15 year old forever foster, does this all the time.  When I
first got him I assumed it was pain, but he would run and wag his tail, and
then sit down and shiver. The shivering got really pronounced when he was
begging for something, food, attention, etc. His teeth will chatter he
shakes so hard.

Interestingly, when he's I'm pain he doesn't seem to shake as much.  It
doesn't seem to be cold either, BUT when he went down in the rear it became
more pronounced, and as he got better less so. That would make you think
pain right, but no it wasn't pain. It was as if he shivered whenever he
wanted something and the weakened immune system made it more pronounced.

It's still a bit of a mystery to me, but it's not pain, and he's not cold,
and he's doing it less now that his body is doing better.

Btw, Bailey's pain indicator is panting. When he's in pain he starts to
pant. I hope that helps, it's not really an answer, just my observations
over the last year.

Brenda - momslave to Elphaba and Bailey (the first basset I've ever had who
shivers when not in pain.)