[Dailydrool] Today's calendar houndette

CenturyLink Customer via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Nov 8 13:13:03 PST 2015

Today, November 8th, the Daily Drool Calendar Houndette is my precious Jasmine, the Queen of Bellyrubs. Sadly, after submitting this photo for the calendar Jasmine made her trip to the bridge last June.  She was just over 11 years old when she left us. We miss her terribly. She was such a presence in our household and in our lives. She the leader of the Basset pack at Oakrydge Bassets. She was smart, pretty and loved her slaves most of all. And we loved her. Her best canine buddy and constant companion was Miss Megan the Talldog. If Megan was indoors, so was Jasmine. She even taught Megan how to get belly rubs from the humans. Quite a sight to see those long spindly weimeraner legs sprawled out exposing her belly whilst one of us rubbed her tummy with our bare foot. If Dadperson was rubbing Meg's belly then Jasmine would be tummy up at my feet getting hers rubbed. Both snored in harmony. Both slept on the same bed together most of the time even though there er many comfy beds to choose from.

Jasmine became part of our lives from photos of her emailed to me from her breeder. My name was on a waiting list for a show puppy from an upcoming litter. My puppy turned out to be our Jasmine. I brought her home from a weekend of basset specialties that summer and she took over our lives the minute she arrived here. She was shown a few times and learning what it was all about when a traumatic event happened at a specialty show that made her fear  judges and being in the show ring to the point that she would tremble all over and tuck her tail so far between her legs it looked like she didn't have a tail. On the go round she just could not relax and show herself. It was a difficult decision to stop showing her but it was the best thing to do for her. I brought her home and she was loved and cherished and spoiled beyond belief. All the while hoping she would eventually forget and be happy in the ring. She didn't but she was fine anywhere else, around everyone. When she was old enough to be bred I asked her breeder (and co-owner) about the possibility of having a litter out of her. She was bred to the best stud dog we knew of and produced a litter of 9 puppies; 6 males and 3 females. From that litter, Mz. Noelle became my next conformation champion. Jasmine and Noelle got along fine unless I was present. If the two came in the door together and I was standing there, a fight would break out with lots of very loud snarling and barking as if they each thought I was theirs alone. Sometimes, it was fine. Others,  they'd see me, their eyes would meet and the fight would be on. There never was a "winner". Both were equally matched. Not only in a fight over me but in my heart as well.

We miss Jasmina Ballerina terribly. I imagine she is in charge on the Oakrydge cluster of clouds at the bridge too. She was a heart dog for sure.

Jacqie and the Lowdown Senior Hounds of Oakrydge