[Dailydrool] Bosley's last day 11-6 and thanks

Kenneth Miller via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Nov 13 06:06:32 PST 2015

First off, healing drool to all those in need.

Thanks for all the kind words about my post last week about Bosley to the bridge.

I am so happy to know he arrived safely and seemed to fit in. The boy was never properly socialized, so I was afraid that was going to be an issue.

I honestly believe that he knew something was coming. When we got home on Thursday after making arrangements with the vet. He was waiting at the door as usual, but he was a completely different dog than we had seen for the last month or so. He was kind, gentle, wanted to be close, he was not snarky at all, even tried to climb up on my recliner.

We went and made arrangements with the local funeral home on Friday morning then came home stopping by McDonalds and got him a chicken biscuit. Now, in real life, we never let him have stuff like that, but by now, figured it would not matter.

He loved it, enjoyed it tremedously. Then we went out for a walk, letting him sniff to his hearts content. Again, he was a perfect gentlehound, just like he used to be. It was a great fall day, not too warm, nor too cool.

We came home, he napped a bit, but the clock is ticking. I sat on the couch, he used to love to come sit with me, but we had gotten him a ramp in the last year to help him up. But he did not climb up, instead he came over and smiled at me.

We went on another walk, again checking on all the pee mail, and home. He was tired by now. The vet had given me a sedative to give him about 2 hours before to make sure he was calm. About 1, we gave him that. About 2:30, we went out to get the van ready to take him to the vet. He came over, and as usual, he came over and laid in the door watching us.

We put the van at the street, put his ramp out, and his bed in the back. He went right in. I was still questioning if I was doing the right thing, he was so different than he had been just two days before.

We took him in at the vet, and she and the tech came in, they were both almost ready to cry as well. He was a bit snarky with the tech, but Dr. Metry gave him a shot to put him under while I distracted him. He fell asleep in minutes, we petted him goodbye.

As we drove up the road towards home, I felt him pass through me, just a final goodbye, I guess.

I picked him up in the pouring rain on Monday, and he will reside in the Charlie Cookie Jar that has been so hard to find.

Again, thanks for all the kind words and thoughts and prayers, I feel at peace with the decision, it was for his best, no more pain, no demons or ghosts.

Another basset is certainly in the cards in the future, possibly even a pair, but it takes some time.

One of the things I have, brand new, is some tacrolimas lubrication eye drops. Since I knew a year ago, that putting the grease on his eye lid was impossible, we got the compounded liquid drops. These came from Stokes Compounding Pharmacy and arrived an hour after he was gone. They were like $45. If your hound is need of them, I'd be glad to send them to the first person that emails me after 12 noon on Sunday. That way it gives everyone an equal chance and lets Bosley go help someone else.

you can email me at klmiller at rev.net

Best
Ken and Beth with Bosely (ATB 11-6-2015) and Edsel (ATB 9-20-2002)